Search This Blog

Saturday, February 25, 2023

Flipped Classroom

Image of comparison of what a flipped classroom
looks like compared to a traditional classroom
If I had not experienced this type of class structure myself, then I would have no idea where to even begin defining this thing called a 'Flipped Classroom.' This type of class structure is basically when the students watch lessons at home the night before and the next day come to class for reinforcement and activities covering the topic. Having a flipped classroom allows for the students to do more collaboration in the classroom and teacher guidance and ability to answer the unknown questions students may have. The teacher becomes the "guide on the side" which means they just assist in any questions and activities for the students. Teachers would have students watch lectures at home and come to class the next day to have activities, assessments, and group work to check for understanding. 

The first and only experience I have encountered this type of class structure was sixth grade math. It was one of the most challenging classes I have experienced and I do believe the flipped classroom aspect had a lot to do with it. I think this can work in some classrooms and subjects but I firmly believe incorporating into a math class is not a good idea. Also, I am the type of student that likes to ask questions during a lesson, and that took that opportunity away from me. By the time I was in class the next day, I forgot what I didn't understand. A flipped classroom has the possibility to work for subjects like English, Science, or History but only for older kids. I don't think it belongs in a elementary school classroom. I do however, think that the concept itself is a good idea, but has some changes that need to be made to ensure that every student is successful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Reflections

Prior to my Educational Technology class, I had heard very little of what Educational Blogging was. This can be used to promote communicati...